Thursday, July 24, 2014

KCW - She Painted a Sunset

Finally - some legit Kid Art to fit this season's Kids Clothes Week theme!  She painted a sunset on her new top.


I made the top first, using the free Summer Tunic pattern from Shwin & Shwin.  It's an ivory linen from my stash - more like a home dec weight than is ideal for summer, but it does give some nice shape to the top.


I was going for a water-color effect, so we sprayed down the areas we wanted to paint with water (probably her favorite part - free reign over the spray bottle!) and used very watered down paint in pink and orange to wash the over the fabric.  I also took a dry brush over the top and did a little more spritzing here and there to ensure the color wasn't too concentrated in any one spot.


I considered letting her paint the fabric first, but I really wanted a more seamless look to the painting.  To say there wasn't a little...okay, a lot...of literal hand-holding would be a lie.  We were, after all, adding paint to a FINISHED GARMENT.  She did great, though, despite Mama's uptight approach.  I'll trust her more, next time.

This pattern is lovely, and I've actually got a second cut out and ready to go, along with another pair of shorts for her and two more tees for her brother.  Gonna finish this KCW out strong!

Linking up to Kids Clothes Week here.

No comments:

Post a Comment