Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Birthday Sunki

Baby Girl's birthday is this week, and there's a family party this weekend.  I wanted to make her something special to wear...so I made Figgy's Sunki Dress!  Love this pattern.

I have no idea what this fabric is...I grabbed it at an estate sale a while back.  I think it's a home decor fabric - it's a pretty heavy weight, which is nice for the structure of this dress.  I'm curious to try another version with something that has a little drape to it, though.  The navy is just quilter's cotton.

I had heard some scary things about the pocket construction...and reading the directions ahead of time didn't boost my confidence...but once I sat down with the pieces and actually started putting everything together it came together without much incident.  And in case you're looking really closely - after I was successful with the pockets and shoulders I went out on my own with the shoulder pleats and the way the sleeves are installed, a little out of habit and a little out of laziness.


It IS a bit on the short side...especially for fall/winter...so I plan on adding tights and boots.  

The weather forcast it looking a bit warm for long sleeves, tights, and boots this weekend, though.  May end up being more a Birthday-Gift Sunki than a Birthday-Party Sunki.  I think she'll be okay with that.


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Cute! This pattern is on my list for E, too. Hopefully I can get to it before she grows out of the size I've cut. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It actually did come together a lot faster than I thought it would...if that's encouraging at all.

      Delete
  2. Oh, it's just adorable! And that last shot is so precious:) When the weather gets cooler, it will be the perfect dress to wear with the tights and boots - a stylin' young lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The forecast has recently changed and it's looking like boots weather for party day this weekend after all - excited!

      Delete