Thursday, September 5, 2013

Bitty Backpack

I made a backpack!

My son goes back to preschool next week (so late, I know!) and I have a feeling his sister's not going to be so happy about it.  I decided that making her a backpack of her very own might help ease the transition.  We'll see...  

I used this tutorial.  I love a lot about this backpack - the finished product for one.  Those cute little knots & the separate pocket on the front.  I wasn't too sure about the handles on top at first, but I think they're going to come in...well..handy!  I'm not gonna lie - it was kinda rough going at a couple points.  First - there are a lot of pieces.  Second, I made things harder for myself by using interfacing to up the stiffness.  Then I decided I didn't want to see the interfacing on the inside so, third, I decided to line the thing.  Oh yeah, and I really wanted contrasting stitching but the lines kept jumping all over the place - I don't know if it was because I was sewing duck cloth or I should have been using a different needle - but that, I suppose, is fifth.  I added extra rows of stitching to the handles and made them extra wonky on purpose, hoping to make the rest of the wonkiness appear more intentional.  Not sure it worked, but there's no way I'm redoing any of it.

She says the trickiest part is attaching the pocket - I didn't have much trouble with that, but sewing the front & back to the sides literally had me sweating.  The kid is getting a new backpack from his grandparents for his birthday in October (shhhh...he doesn't know).  I was going to make him the bigger version of this backpack to tide him over, but now I think he may just use last year's until then.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

To add insult to injury, the girl wouldn't even put the thing on!!!!  Actual hysterics - pretty much her reaction to any request I make of her these days, including eating her meals.  I feel like I'm living with a two year old teenager.  Anyway...  I'm sure she'll feel differently once her brother starts wearing his backpack again, but until that time you'll have to settle for this...

Instead of my baby with her backpack, it's her baby in her backpack.  Still cute, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. I am really loving your style! I am going to add you to bloglovin so I can see all of your new creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your comments! I'm so happy you stopped by and took the time to look around - and that you enjoyed what you saw!

      Delete