Friday, July 19, 2013

KCW - Summer 2013 - Days 4 & 5

I'm pretty strictly a weekday sewist, so this outfit is the end of my KCW summer sewing -- although I'm sure I'll be back at it next week, albeit with a slower schedule.  It's an Oliver & S Roller Skate Tunic with Caila Made's free shorts pattern.


It's my first Oliver & S.  A little more complicated and detailed than what I usually do, but great instructions and a lovely finished product.  The floral fabric was a purchase from Joann.  It's actually the only fabric I bought for all of KCW, now that I think about it - yeah stash!!  It's a printed linen (or "linen look"???).  I've had my eye on it for a while and when I walked in a couple weeks ago the "sale" sign was screaming at me.  Unfortunately, sale signs won't be silenced by snacks like little mouths will, so home with me it came.  The fabric for the yoke is a really loosely woven textured fabric that I thought might prove impossible to work with, but in reality was no problem at all.  Whew!


I finished the back with another old mystery button from a previous generation.  I used the free shorts pattern found here.  I think I made it in a smaller 2T size (see her explanation in the directions) but between the time I made the pattern and now, I've forgotten.  The only change I really made was to add a little pintuck at the front and back center line of each leg.  I used some linen I had on hand.


As for the fit - let's start with the womp womp.  Shorts too big - story of my sewing life.  I think I give up on shorts.  For this summer, anyway.  It's not the pattern's fault at all - pattern came together rather nicely. I just should have made them smaller.


The top is a pretty good fit, though.  With a bit of room to grow.  Oh - and the styling choice of the necklace is ALL HER.  I'm in so much trouble, aren't I.



I was a little nervous going into Kids Clothes Week.  It's the first time I've really put myself "out there", if you will.  I'm so glad I did, though.  I got several really nice comments (my first!  so encouraging!) and a lot of people stopping by to check out my little space here.  My first swing tee was even one of the featured garments - eek!!  I've been kind of wishy washy about this whole blogging thing, but I think I'm starting to find a groove.  I'm going to stick with it for now, I think, and KCW definitely helped me make that decision.  

4 comments:

  1. The fabric you used for the top is AMAZING. I'm so happy you decided to "put yourself out there" this week. I've enjoyed seeing all your projects on the KCW site. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not sure if I was obsessed with that fabric or it was obsessed with me - but either way I think we were meant to be and I think it worked out perfectly for this top. I loved the roller skate top you posted for KCW, too - with the ruffled gray skirt. I definitely think it works! Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. What a great blog! I love the things you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - I'm so happy you stopped by!

      Delete